Tuesday, June 2, 2009

That quick summer sandwich

Summer is finally here! Being a vegetarian, I inevitably keep missing the Haldiram's veggie burger which I used to relish sooo much back in Nagpur. However, over the years I have come up with my version of this veggie burger which is easy to make & tastes delicious. If you are not always in a mood to cook some elaborate dinner or hit the Panera across the corner, you will enjoy this recipe.
Bread is an integral (!) part of a sandwich recipe, I buy the soft french/italian bread from Super Target. I am sure you can get any kinda bread you wish from any of the supermarkets convenient to you. However, deli breads which are baked for gourmet purposes taste better than regular breads. I either make my veggie patty (cutlet recipe will follow soon) or buy the packed ones from Indian grocery store. SWAD has these perfect desi cutlets specially made for the Indian palate. I have a panini grill on which I grill the patty, with sliced onions & mozarrella cheese.

Do not add tomatoes & cucumber while grilling since they ooze water out & the bread will get all watery! Once the bread is grilled with patty in it, garnish the sandwich with lettuce, ketchup, mayo & anything else you fancy! This time aaround I also added a specialty Mango Mint Hot Chutney which I again got from Target & it turned out simply delicious. I usually have my sandwich with tomato soup (recipe follows). Enjoy!

No comments: