Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tiramisu


This has been an all time favorite Italian dessert of mine & can't count how many times I would have wanted to find out the "perfectly easy" way to make a Tiramisu. Then my good friend Kiran mentioned about her good friend J who makes the best Tiramisu ever. The mission was set, I asked Kiran to learn it & then I rehearsed it with her in towe. So the credit to this blog goes to J & Kiran, not me! I love to stick to Starbucks espresso shots because I firmly believe no other espresso tastes as good as Starbucks'. Although I will say brand is purely optional.
So here goes the recipe;
Ingredients: 2 packets of Lady fingers, 2 small boxes of Mascarpone cheese, 3 eggs, Cocoa powder, 3/4 cup sugar, 6-7 shots of Starbucks espresso coffee, Optional:Kahlua
Preparation
1. Whisk the sugar & egg white together with electric blender. Whisk the cheese & yellow egg portion together. Then mix all of it together. Cheese & egg mix is ready. Pour the espresso shots in a shallow container so that lady fingers can be easily soaked. If you plan to use Kahlua, mix some (1/4 cup) Kahlua with coffee shots.
2. Soak the lady fingers in coffee quickly (or else they may soak too much coffee resulting into way too soggy biscottis) & arrange as a first layer depending upon the shape of the container preffered. Usually I prefer a medium deep glass container. Pour the cheese as the second layer on the lady fingers. Spread out the cheese evenly on the lady fingers. Sprinkle some cocoa powder on top of this cheese. Now there are can be N number of ways sprinkling this cocoa powder generously on top of the cheese, but one easy trick Kiran taught me was to take the cocoa powder in a strainer & shake it on top of the cheese with the help of a spoon.
3. Repeat all the steps in #1 again so that you have two layers of lady fingers/cheese/cocoa powder. Freeze the dessert for 3-4 hours before serving.
4. Tada, it is that easy!

No comments: