Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dabeli


Well who doesn't like street side junk food? I haven't seen anyone till date who has no liking for bhel, dabeli, pani-puri etc. There was a time when I was living off of this junk food & it was my staple diet. Indian junk food was the most important thing that I kept missing in the US until a few years ago when I took upon the job to create them myselves. Long international phone calls, reading cook-books helped me try these recipes on my own. Well, today I can say with confidence that these recipes are really not difficult & if we master the art of making chutneys, we can easily create the chaat we loved back home. Here I blog one of my all time favorites; Dabeli. I use home made chutneys, but if you want to, store bought chutneys should turn out fine as well.

Ingredients
3 medium size potatoes
1 tbsp jeera
1 tbsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp dabeli masala
2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup date tamarind chutney
1/4 cup mint coriander chutney
1/4 cup luke warm water
roasted peanuts, chopped onions, coriander & thin sev to garnish
Bread/Pavs
Preparation
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera & pinch of hing after the jeera seeds flutter. Add turmeric & chilli powder. Let this simmer for a few seconds & add the mashed/boiled potatoes. Let this mixture cook for 3-4 mins & add the warm water. Dabeli mixture has to be a little soft, not too wattery though!.
2. Add dabeli masala, salt, some sugar to the mix. After 2-3 mins add the date chutney & let the mixture cool. Dabeli masala, sugar etc can be varied as per personal preference.
3. Heat some pavs on a pan with butter & stuff the dabeli mix in the pavs. Garnish with mint chutney on the pav, date chutney if needed, roasted peanuts, onions, cilantro etc as shown the picture. Enjoy your dabeli!





No comments: